The cake is really moist, perfectly spiced, and studded with tender pieces of fresh apple. The batter is incredibly fast to make with just a wooden spoon – no electric mixer required!
- 2 cups flour, plain/all-purpose
- 3/4 tsp baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- 3/4 tsp EACH salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (or 1/4 tsp freshly ground)
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, large, at room temperature (55-60g/2oz each)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 8mm/ 1/3″ cubes (~2 large, 3 small)
- 1/2 cup flaked raw almonds
- Icing sugar. confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (all oven types).
- Grease and line a 21 cm / 9″ springform cake pan. (Note 4)
- Place flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Whisk oil and sugar in a bowl, then whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until JUST combined. Stir through apple (optional: add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts).
- Pour into the cake pan. Sprinkle over almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hr. Check at 50 minutes – it is cooked when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar if using, then serve. This cake doesn’t need cream or ice cream because it is so moist, but I wouldn’t turn it down!
Yield: about 12 servings