You know what they say, planning makes perfection! This breakfast casserole with bacon and hash browns is the perfect make-ahead brunch that everyone will reach for. It’s got all your favorite breakfast flavors blended in one amazing dish to kickstart your day. If you want to do it right, serve this breakfast casserole on the weekend when you can enjoy it without a rush…because the best brunches should bring family together.
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 12 eggs
- 1 package (2 lb) frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Using slotted spoon. Remove from pan to small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Drain drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan. Add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms; cook 4 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, salt and pepper. In large bowl, beat milk and eggs with wire whisk.
- Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of hash browns in baking dish. Spread onion mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Spread remaining hash browns over top. Pour egg mixture on top. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Uncover; bake 50 to 60 minutes or until thermometer inserted in center reads 160°F. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and the bacon. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean, top is puffed and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.