This layered cake is pure chocolate confection. Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ chocolate cake mix gets an extra chocolaty plus-up from the addition of chocolate pudding before baking. A from-scratch dangerously good dark chocolate buttercream frosting covers the three layers of cake. The special addition that takes this dessert to the next level? A toffee bits crunch that’s sprinkled among the frosting in between the cake layers, and then piled atop the cake. For an extra-fun touch, we added small frosting stars piped around the edges of the top of the cake! It’s a truly over-the-top chocolate dessert that makes a gorgeous centerpiece, and makes any chocolate-loving guest very happy.
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ chocolate fudge cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 box (3.9 oz) Jell-O™ chocolate-flavor instant pudding & pie filling mix (dry)
Toffee Bits Crunch
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup roasted salted almonds
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Spray bottoms and sides of 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat Cake ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour 1 2/3 cups batter in each pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave 1/3 cup chocolate chips uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips can be stirred smooth. Add almonds to bowl; stir until almonds are coated evenly with chocolate. Spread on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes until chocolate is firm.
- Break chocolate-coated nuts into large pieces, and place in bowl of food processor. Cover and process until coarsely chopped. Place in small bowl; stir in toffee bits. Set aside.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 3/4 cup chocolate chips uncovered on High 60 seconds; stir halfway through. Continue to microwave in 15-second increments until chips can be stirred smooth; cool 10 minutes. In large bowl, beat butter and melted chocolate with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. On low speed, beat in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, scraping side of bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread 2/3 cup of the frosting on top; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the toffee bits crunch over top of frosting. Top with second cake layer. Spread 2/3 cup frosting on top; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the toffee bits crunch over top of frosting; top with third cake layer. Fit decorating bag with medium star piping tip; fill with 3/4 cup of the frosting. Set aside.
- Frost sides with thin layer of frosting so sides are covered but cake still shows through. Spread remaining frosting on top. Using decorating bag, pipe stars on top edge of cake. Fill center with remaining toffee bits crunch. Refrigerate cake 30 minutes. If refrigerating cake longer than 30 minutes, let cake stand 10 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Serves – 12