Star Bread is a visually stunning, decadent tasting sweet bread, that will be the talk of the table. Whether it’s for the holidays or a special occasion this eye-pleasing, mouth-watering bread is the way to go.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon instant yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Extra flour for rolling
- 6 tablespoons of apple butter
- Egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a small saucepan add the milk and over medium heat bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off and add the cubed unsalted butter. Stir until the butter melts completely. Pour the hot milk mixture into a stand mixer bowl and set aside to cool to below 110 degrees F.
- When the milk the mixture is cool enough then add the yeast and stir. Let it sit for 5 min to bloom.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, and mix to blend. Then, transfer the flour mixture to the stand mixer bowl with the warm yeast and mix gently.
- Using a dough hook on speed 2 knead for about 7-10 min. The dough should start pulling away from the side of the bowl.
- Oil a glass bowl and your hands. Scrape the dough out of the mixing bowl and then shape it into a ball in your hands and place it in the oiled bowl. Over, and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours until at least doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal portions. Shape into balls.
- Roll on dough ball out into a circle about 9″-10″ in diameter. Place it on a piece of parchment paper and spread 2 tablespoons of apple butter over it.
- Roll another dough ball out to the same size as the first one and place it on top, spread another 2 Tablespoons of apple butter over the top. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th dough ball. You should end up with 4 layers of dough and 3 layers of apple butter.
- With the back of a round cookie cutter or a cup, mark a 3″ circle in the middle. Cut the dough into 16 sections leaving the 3″ circle in the middle untouched.
- Take two sections away from each other and press the end together to form the star point. You should end up with 8 star points. Then, cover it and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg with a tablespoon of milk and brush it lightly over the star bread. Bake for 30 min until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.