Enjoy this delicious dish to bring comfort and warmth to your home!
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 lemongrass stalk, top half trimmed, tough outer layers removed, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 2″ piece ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (14-oz.) block firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 small or 1/2 large head of cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.), cut into 2″ wedges through core
- 3 large carrots (about 1 lb.), peeled, cut into 2″ segments
- Toasted coconut chips, steamed rice, and lime wedges (for serving; optional)
- Coconut Cabbage and Tofu With Lemongrass and Ginger
- Place a rack in top third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Purée coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne in a blender until smooth.
- Squeeze tofu over a medium bowl or sink with your hands, gently at first, then more firmly to expel as much water as possible (like squeezing out a big sponge). Don’t worry if it starts to crack apart.
- When no more liquid comes out, tear tofu into 2″ pieces; discard liquid.
- Place in a shallow 13×9″ baking dish.
- Add cabbage and carrots, arrange in an even layer, and pour sauce over.
- Bake, basting the vegetables and tofu halfway through, until carrots are fork-tender, most of the liquid is evaporated, and the top is golden brown and lightly charred in places, 40–45 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Top with coconut chips (if using). Serve with rice and lime wedges alongside (if using).
Makes 4 servings