On April 22, 2015, Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan (Gleaners) hosted their 22nd annual Women’s Power Breakfast (WPB). Acting as a culminating event of Gleaners’ month-long Million Meal Match (MMM) campaign, the Breakfast’s fundraising efforts helped raise over $420,000 – more than 1.2 MILLION MEALS for hungry children across southeast Michigan.
Gleaners’ Detroit headquarters boasted a full house; 650 powerful female business, community and civic leaders assembled for breakfast, networking and an inspirational program:
- Emergency food recipients shared their stories about falling on hard times – and how Gleaners’ food programs helped them.
- Fisher Magnet Lower Academy’s principal and social worker discussed how Gleaners’ programs impact the school – 100% of their students qualify for free school meals, sending students home with a backpack full of healthy foods.
The MMM continues through Thursday, April 30; Gleaners still offers opportunities for the community to further support their mission. The two unique pieces – the Women’s Power Pangborn Scarf and the Link Wachler hand-etched pewter charm bracelet are still available online for purchase.
Donations can be made:
- Online at gcfb.org/millionmealmatch
- Calling 855-315-FOOD (3663)
- Text MMM to 41444 to donate any amount by credit or debit card. Message and data rates may apply.
- Checks by mail: MMM-GLEANERS, 2131 Beaufait, Detroit 48207
About Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan (Gleaners):
For over 37 years, Gleaners Community Food Bank has been “feeding hungry people and nourishing our communities.” Gleaners helps alleviate hunger by providing the equivalent of nearly 77,000 meals per day to people who otherwise cannot afford the food they need. Headquartered in Detroit, Gleaners operates a total of five distribution centers in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston and Monroe counties, which provide food to 510 partner soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters and other agencies throughout southeastern Michigan. Of every dollar donated, Gleaners uses 94 cents for food and food programs. One dollar provides three meals. Learn more at www.gcfb.org.