Hasselbackspotatis, aka Hasselback potatoes, are a Swedish invention that transforms a humble baked potato into an ingenious work of art. Each potato is partially sliced into a row of thin slivers that then get brushed with oil or butter and baked to roasty-toasty crispy-crunchy perfection. For lovers of baked potatoes and potato chips, the Hasselback potato is going to be a taste of spud heaven.
For the Hasselback Potatoes:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For Cream Cheese Sauce:
- 4 tbsp. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c. boiling water
For Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 1 tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 tbsp. dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Diced red onions
- Freshly chopped chives
For Hasselback Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a cutting board, place a potato lengthwise between two chopsticks. Partially slice each potato into ⅛”-thick slices, making sure not to cut all the way through by using the chopsticks as a safety guard. Place cut potatoes on a large baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and garlic. Brush half the garlic oil mixture all over the sliced potatoes, then season each potato with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove potatoes from the oven, then carefully fan out the slices by gently squeezing while twisting the potato with just your index finger and thumb. Brush remaining garlic oil mixture onto the potatoes, making sure to brush in between the slices.
- Continue baking for 40 minutes more, until potatoes are completely tender and the slivered tops have bloomed outward and turned crispy and deeply golden.
For Cheese Sauce & Topping:
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese with boiling water, whisking until smooth.
- In another small bowl, combine sesame seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and poppy seeds.
- Drizzle baked potatoes with cream cheese sauce and hot sauce, if desired. Sprinkle with everything seasoning, red onions, and chives before serving.
Makes 4 servings.