This easy, tangy pasta salad mixes traditional macaroni salad with Mediterranean flavors to create a new family favorite potluck salad.
- 1 16-ounce package medium shell macaroni
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, chopped (about 3 ribs)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup pepperoncini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup prosciutto, sliced
- ½ pound smoked mozzarella, sliced in ¼-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoon capers, drained
- ½ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk (low fat if preferred)
- ¼ cup pepperoncini juice (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add macaroni and boil according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, gently combine pasta and next 8 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, buttermilk, pepperoncini juice, wine vinegar, sugar and salt, and pepper.
- Taste for sweetness and saltiness and add more to your liking.
- Add mayo mixture to pasta mixture and gently combine.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.