Your classic carbonara meets pumpkin for a creamy and silky pasta dish that’s fall-ready!
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 3 large egg yolks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti or bucatini
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin, Parmesan, and egg yolks together. Add a few cranks of black pepper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Reserve about 1 ½ cups of pasta water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve bacon grease in skillet.
- Add drained pasta to skillet with bacon grease, tossing to coat. Return skillet over low heat to warm grease, if needed, then remove from heat before adding pumpkin mixture. Add ¾ cup of pasta water to pumpkin mixture to thin it out, then add to pasta and toss to coat. Add additional pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to create a creamy sauce. Add bacon and toss.
- Top with more Parmesan and black pepper to serve.
Makes 4 servings.