A sweet, custardy banana pudding is the measuring stick by which all others should be judged. This banana pudding recipe doesn’t hold back on taste!
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 box (12oz) vanilla wafers (about 35 wafers)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the 1⁄2 cup of sugar, flour, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, whisking occasionally, for about 12 minutes, until the mixture thickens into a pudding.
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick, stiff peaks have formed.
- Fold in the 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix for another few seconds to incorporate. (The meringue can also be whipped by hand with a whisk in a cold aluminum mixing bowl, but be prepared for a bit of a workout.)
- Layer the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish or oven-safe bowl with half of the bananas, then top with half the cookies. Repeat to form two layers of wafers and bananas, then pour the pudding over the top.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.