Soft and chewy, these Sweet Molasses Brown Bread Rolls are simple and scrumptious. A touch of molasses and honey, healthy whole wheat flour give these rolls amazing texture and great flavor, similar to Outback or Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread.
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast (make sure it’s not expired)
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 egg (room temp – see below*)
- ¼ cup honey (I love using local honey)
- 3 tablespoons molasses (I used organic)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used organic Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1-2 cups whole wheat flour
- cornmeal or rolled oats (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
BROWN SUGAR BUTTER
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine warm water and yeast until dissolved and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast smells yeasty and frothy, add the rest of the ingredients up until the whole wheat flour. Mix on low, scraping down sides until just combined. Change paddle beater to the “J” hook (see notes if you do not have a J hook), add one cup of whole wheat flour a little at a time with mixer on low, until combined. Gradually add whole wheat flour until dough starts to come together, starts to ball, and pulls away from the bowl. If needed add a couple of teaspoons of water. Knead on low for 5-7 minutes, if needed add additional flour. The dough will be very stiff.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until tight and smooth, about 4-5 times. Spray or spread oil in a large ceramic bowl, form dough into a ball, turning to cover both sides with oil. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 60-90 minutes. If you need a warm place, preheat your oven to 100 degrees then TURN OFF.
- Punch down dough and using a bench scraper, cut into 16 even dough balls, pinch bottoms into a round ball shape, and lay in a sprayed or parchment lined 13×9 inch pan. Place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and brush tops of muffins with melted butter sprinkling with a little cornmeal or rolled oats (optional)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes
Brown Sugar Butter:
- In a bowl, mixer, or food processor, mix the brown sugar, softened butter, and honey. Refrigerate until ready to use, then bring to room temperature
- Makes 16 rolls.