Looking for a new spin on your normal potato salad? Serve this Texas Style New Potato Salad Recipe tossed with crispy bacon and grilled onions and just watch it disappear before the burgers and hot dogs do. I promise you. This easy recipe is a real winner for adding to your cookout menu!
- 3 pounds red/new potatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 3 slices bacon, crisply cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, thick stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Once cool, quarter potatoes; set aside.
- Grill onion slices over high heat until lightly caramelized.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add oregano; and continue to toast about 20 seconds, be careful to watch for burning. Immediately remove spices from heat, transfer toasted spices into large bowl.
- In a large bowl with toasted spices, add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk together to blend. Add potatoes, onions, chiles, bacon and cilantro; toss lightly to coat.